The learner must achieve all 6 units below. 4 compulsory units and 2 additional modules regarding a particular pathway. This course will involve completion of 2 additional Gym based modules.
The total credit value is 23.
- Unit 1 - Anatomy and physiology for exercise (H/600/9013) – this unit is worth 6 credits
- Unit 2 - Know how to support clients who take part in exercise and physical activity (M/600/9015) – this unit is worth 2 credits
- Unit 3 - Health, safety and welfare in a fitness environment (T/600/9016) – this unit is worth 2 credits
- Unit 4 - Principles of exercise, fitness and health (A/600/9017) – this unit is worth 4 credits
Gym based pathway
- Unit 5 - Planning gym-based exercise (F/600/9018) this unit is worth 4 credits
- Unit 6 - Instructing gym-based exercise (A/600/9020) – this unit is worth 6 credits
The Qualifications and Credit Framework (QCF) is a system for recognising skills and qualifications. It does this by awarding credit for qualifications and units (small steps of learning). Each unit has a credit value (as detailed above). This value specifies the number of credits gained by learners who complete that unit. The flexibility of the system allows learners to gain qualifications at their own pace along routes that suit them best.
This Active IQ Level 2 Certificate in Fitness Instruction (Gym based) course is great for people who want a career in the fitness industry as a Fitness instructor.
During this fitness course you will learn about: designing cardiovascular and resistance training programmes, systems of the body, principles of training, physical activity promotion and health and safety in a gym environment.
This qualification is open to all.
The course requires physical exertion and individual participation is essential; therefore, a degree of physical fitness is necessary. There is also an element of communication (discussing, presenting, reading and writing) involved and learners should have basic skills in communication pitched at level 2.
Gym based pathway - Some experience of gym-based exercises, including free weights, is highly recommended.
Start anytime, work at your own pace and select from a list of "top up" & assessment days. Compulsory directed home study via online learning plus attendance at the "top up" and assessment / examination day is required.
- 4 – 8 weeks in duration
- 2 "top up" days (combining theory and practical skills) + 1 assessment / examination day
- Multiple Choice Examination
- Portfolio of Evidence
- Practical Demonstration / Assignment